Agent: Anastasia Ferrara | Email: anastasia[at]breakoutagency.co.za
Farryl Purkiss is a South African born singer-songwriter. Farryl first picked up the guitar when he was fifteen years old and began writing songs shortly after his sixteenth birthday. He self released an EP in 2005 (Chapter One) that created waves in his home town of Durban and later that year began talks with 2Feet Music. He was signed to 2Feet Music soon after and started performing heavily outside of South Africa leading up to the release of his full length debut album, released in South Africa in 2007, to high acclaim, chart success and award nominations. He has since spent most of his time touring the world playing major festivals such as BIG DAY OUT, BYRON BAY BLUES AND ROOTS FESTIVAL, THE GREAT ESCAPE, OPPIKOPPI, ROCKING THE DAISIES, SPLASHY FEN and the WHITE MOUNTAIN FOLK FESTIVAL to name but a few.
As well as numerous tours supporting artists such as CROWDED HOUSE, FINLEY QUAYE, MISSY HIGGINS and THE VIOLENT FEMMES.
“Fruitbats & Crows” (2009) was the long awaited follow up to Farryl Purkiss’s 2006 internationally critically acclaimed self titled album. The record won a South African Music Award. In the past three years, Purkiss has toured Australia three times, Europe, USA and of course, South Africa. He’s had radio success in all of the above territories including Japan and a #1 in France.. His songs have been used in campaigns by Nissan (Greece), Audi (UK), MTN (South Africa) as well as twice on the American TV show “Private Practice”. In 2007 he was voted the most popular musician by Heat Magazine (South Africa) and has been featured by every major newspaper, magazine, TV show and radio station in South Africa.
He finished his 3rd full length record (Home) in 2013, which was recorded on a farm in the suburb Constantia. It was produced by American producer Kieran Kelly(Sufjan Stevens, Angus & Julia Stone). The album was released to rave reviews and was also nominated for a SAMA award.
The end of 2014 saw Purkiss getting signed abroad, and he has spent the past 2 months recording new songs at The Buddy Project in NYC for his upcoming American release in April 2015.
Besides his records his songs have been used in numerous advertising campaigns, TV series and Motion Pictures.
- 5FM – Top 40 with “Better days“, peaked at #3 with “Ducking and Diving“. (Approx 1.4 Million listeners)
- Highveld 94.7 – Top 10 with “Ducking and Diving” and “Better Days” (Approx 1.1 Million Listeners)
- “La Di Da” and “Sticks and Stones” playlisted on Key AC station, Jacaranda FM (Approx 1.5 Million listeners)
- All key Campus Stations – Top 10 on TuksFM, UJFM, PUK FM, MFM, UCT Radio
- “A Million Grains Of Sand” currently playlisted on stations such as Highveld Stereo, RSG, Campus Stations nationally (combined listenership of approx 4 million)
- “Kissing Devils On The Cheek” currently playlisted on South Africa’s biggest national Top 40 radio station, 5fm. Track was chosen as tastemaker track of the week during the Top 40 show on 20th June 2010 as well as treffer (hit) of the week on 5fm on 14 June 2010. Track is also playlisted on all campus stations as well as regionals.
- “Kissing Devils On The Cheek” music video peaked at #2 on MK, South Africa’s only music video channel specialising in rock/pop after 5 weeks on the chart.
- #1 hit on French national radio (FIP) with “La-Di-Da” and OUI FM (Paris)
- Used for Audi TT’s Remastered (UK ) advertising campaign in 2007 with his cover of Bob Dylan’s “Positively Fourth Street”. His cover was personally approved by Dylan.
- “Sticks & Stones” placed in popular ABC television show “Private Practice” (USA) in 2009
- Toured Australia, UK, France and Germany in 2007 and USA in 2008
- Performed at Musexpo in 2008 at House Of Blues on Sunset Boulevard
- Played at Hofstra University’s Spring Day Festival to over 10 000 people
- Supported Amy Speace at The Living Room (NYC) and Goldhawk (New Jersey)
- Supported Finley Quaye on his South African tour in 2010
- Video playlisted on MTV Pulse (France)
- Playlisted on national and regional stations in Australia including NOVA
- Performed at Big Day Out in Perth, and Blues and Roots in Byron bay in 2007
- Play listing on 82 radio stations in Germany
- Charted on Tokyo FM in Japan
- Featured artist on Tokyo FM in Japan
- Reviewed in Q, Uncut, Huck, Mojo, Hit Sheet, Rock n Reel and TNT in the UK
- CD of the month in Live Magazin Saar (overflow-x:scroll;)
- His music has been placed in 5 movies and 3 TV advertising campaigns
- “La Di Da” used in a TV advertising campaign for MTN (South Africa’s second biggest mobile phone service providers).
- Nominated for Best Adult Contemporary Album at the South African Music Awards in 2006
- Nominated for Best Adult Contemporary Album and won an award for Best Producer at the South African Music Awards in 2010
- Heat Magazine (South Africa’s biggest celebrity magazine) Hot 100 #19 most popular celebrity and #1 most popular musician (as voted for by the public)
- Toured with Donovan Frankenreiter, Ben Lee , Bob Evans (in Australia) and South African dates with Missy Higgins
- Headlined Highveld Stereo’s Homebrew gig (Sold Out – over 1000 people)
- Invited to support Joe Jackson on South African tour in 2008
- Performing at the Goldcoast Festival (Devon, UK) alongside Donovan Frankenreiter
- Headlined South African Festival, Woodstock 9 (2007). Played to over 10 000 people.
- Played 23 gigs in 30 days on Australian tour with Bob Evans. The pair performed in major and surrounding cities, including Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Tasmania, to more than 7 000 people collectively.